10/13/08

Ghetto Movie Theater

My new thing is going to the movies as much as possible in China. I like to choose movies without English subtitles, if possible. Tonight I saw a very silly Chinese crime/comedy film in the local neighborhood ghetto theater. The theater reminds me of the old, dilapidated neighborhood theaters I remember as a kid - the one on St. Marks, the old Murray Hill Theater, the really weird one on Grand Street that's some kind of NYU medical clinic now. The place is musty, the seats and doors don't all work properly, and the movies are cheap (about $1.50). Our movie tonight was 20 minutes late getting started and then, when we were all sitting in the dark theater ten minutes into the film, the ticket guy came in with a flashlight to check our tickets. He had to walk down each row and examine everyone's ticket and even my Chinese friend said she hadn't seen a movie theater that ghetto in China in 20 years. Yay China.

2 comments:

Philou said...

I guess you tried those 2: http://listings.gokunming.com/en/listings/kunming/movie_theaters/

if not, where is the 2nd cinema you are mentionning?

Riewerzdhb said...

An APN can provide primary health care, mental health services, diagnose, prescribe medication, conduct research, and educate. This job has taught me that some people are not as compassionate as others. This usually means some planning and home modifications.