11/6/08

Obama

Yesterday was a great day for America and I hope it goes a long way to showing the rest of the world what kind of country we really are. A few hours after watching the election results live on CNN (online, of course) I was on the phone with someone from a local kindergarten about a part-time job. I'm American and well spoken with many years of teaching experience under my belt. Like usual in China, they were very excited about meeting me and giving me a teaching job. Then the woman on the phone asked her final question: "are you white or black?" I've dealt with this a lot in Asia and she was quick to explain herself. She told me that a lot of the American teachers that show up are black and the kids (and parents, she added - I tend to think it's mostly the parents) are scared of them.

Racism is alive and well all over the world, but the next time someone in China accuses me of coming from a racist country, I'm going to laugh in their face.

2 comments:

Carlo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carlo said...

Brother,

What you wrote inspired me to write something on my blog.

Hold onto compassion, but truth be told, I am with you on this.

In my particular case, in Korea, I want to remind anyone who confronts me with this kind of thing in the future, by saying, 'nineteen nations came together to fight for Korea', Ethiopains and black Americans among them; Gautama Buddha and Jesus were men of color...people here have no moral foundation on which to carry out racist policies.'

Keeep the faith.
Carl~Mando